La Raza Centro Legal is currently accepting applications for a Housing Law Staff Attorney position.
- Position: Fixed-Term Staff Attorney
- Salary: $42,586.93 – $47,086.93 depending on experience; benefits include health, dental and life insurance.
- Deadline: Until filled
Organizational Mission & Background: Founded in 1973, La Raza Centro Legal is a multicultural public interest law and social justice center based in the Mission District of San Francisco. Our mission is to create a more just and inclusive society in the interests of the Latino, indigenous, immigrant, and low-income people of San Francisco and the greater Bay Area. Through our programs in legal services and community empowerment, we seek to enable people to know and exercise their own legal rights, confront injustice, increase self-sufficiency, and advocate for themselves.
Responsibilities: The primary objective of the staff attorney is to provide legal services to tenants, including ensuring fair settlements and eviction defense. The staff attorney will coordinate the Housing Law Program and provide legal advice, attend mandatory settlement conferences, and defend unlawful detainer and other actions in court, including jury trials.
The position will require the attorney to:
- Manage an individual caseload.
- Maintain regular clinic hours (1-2x/month).
- Recruit and supervise a paralegal, interns, and volunteers to assist in meeting the goals of the position as well as to enhance the resources available to the community.
- Assist with fund development and meet grant funding obligations and reporting requirements.
People of color, women, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender, low-income, and immigrant candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
- Strong commitment to social justice
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in both English and Spanish
- Supervisory experience
- Program development experience
- Ability to advocate on behalf of immigrants in the media, community forums, and other venues
- Good public speaking skills
- Ability to engage in strategic planning regarding the direction of legal services work
- Admission to the California Bar
- Group health and medical insurance coverage for employee and eligible dependents
- Dental insurance coverage
- Term Life insurance and Long Term Disability coverage
- 2% 401K retirement plan matching
- Bonuses on first, third, and fifth anniversaries
- 15.5 paid holidays
- One-hour paid lunch
- Vacation accruals increase after 2 and 4 years
Level of Language Proficiency:
Preferably fluent in English and Spanish
Minimum Education Required:
J.D. and admission to the California Bar
How to Apply:
Email resume, two references, and cover letter to Executive Director Lydia Lopez (firstname.lastname@example.org / 415.553.3410).