The Immigration Program Attorney at La Raza Centro Legal will represent clients with immigration cases, focusing on removal defense or affirmative filings. The attorney will manage an individual caseload and will also contribute to community outreach events and presentations, grant reporting, fundraising efforts, volunteer/intern, and pro bono attorney recruitment and supervision, and other tasks.
Clinical and Case Work Responsibilities:
- Prepare applications for asylum, SIJS and other avenues of relief from deportation. Prepare affirmative filings for applicants.
- Attend immigration clinics and conduct intake screenings.
- Represent some clients at USCIS and asylum office interviews.
- Write motions, briefs, and BIA appellate briefs.
- Ensure that legal work is consistent with agency mission.
Community Education Responsibilities:
- Conduct know-your-rights presentations and information sessions.
- Develop informational materials on immigration law.
- Represent La Raza Centro Legal at various coalition meetings.
Responsibilities – Immigration Program:
- Attend team meetings.
- Assist with funding reporting requirements.
- Assist with case management systems.
- Assist in the overflow work of the program.
Responsibilities – Agency Wide:
- Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings.
- Assist with fundraising and grant writing for the agency.
- Represent the agency to the community at meetings, public events, media outreach, and other forums.
- Fluent in Spanish and English.
- J.D. and CA state bar license.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Interest in immigration law and passionate about issues affecting immigrants.
- Sensitivity to work with children and survivors of trauma.
- Salary $55,000/year, plus benefits premiums
- Group health and medical insurance coverage for employee and eligible dependents
- Dental insurance coverage
- Term Life insurance and Long Term Disability coverage
- 2% 401K retirement plan matching
Level of Language Proficiency:
- Preferably fluent in English and Spanish.
Minimum Education Required: J.D. and admission to the CA Bar
How to Apply: E-mail resume, 2 references & cover letter to email@example.com.