The Senior Law Program Attorney provides legal assistance and representation to low-income seniors and adults with disabilities living in San Francisco County. The Senior Law Program provides legal services for SSI and public benefits, eviction defense, consumer fraud, immigration, and other issues. Key program activies include:
- Weekly clinics and office hours at senior centers and community centers throughout the county
- Offering legal rights and court system education for seniors
- Assisting seniors / disabled individuals in preparing a legal response to litigation matters
- Advising seniors on the small claims court process.
The Senior Law Program Attorney engages in community-based advocacy, and ensures that his/her work is consistent with La Raza Centro Legal’s mission. This position reports to La Raza Centro Legal’s Senior Law Program Coordinator.
- Provide legal assistance in SSI and public benefits, eviction defense, addressing consumer fraud, immigration, and other issues.
- Hold regular office hours at senior centers and community centers throughout the area.
- Conduct client intake.
- Assist in preparing legal responses.
- Advise and advocate on behalf of seniors through various administrative bureaucracies and through the small claims court process.
- Facilitate the growth of senior and disability services outreach.
- Ensure that advocacy is consistent with the agency’s mission.
- Educate and empower seniors and adults with disabilities through workshops, and community and media outreach.
- Develop informational materials useful for seniors and adults with disabilities.
- Keep abreast of changes in law or policies affecting seniors and adults with disabilities.
- Involve community in legal work of the unit through client participation, education, leadership development, and advisory board.
Responsibilities – Senior Law Program:
- Conduct legal and policy work as explained above.
- Attend Senior Law Program meetings.
- Attend clinics/trainings.
- Maintain a current case list.
- Assist with funding/reporting requirements.
- Assist in setting up the legal and case management systems for program operations.
- Assist in the overflow work within the program.
Responsibilities – Agency Wide:
- Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings.
- Participate in organizing the community.
- Participate in committees as needed.
- Assist with fundraising for the agency.
- Represent the agency at community events, public events, and other forums.
- Communicate regularly with the Executive Director regarding program and professional needs and strategies.